Hong Kong, 29 October 2013 – Embark on a journey of discovery into the vibrant art, culture and heritage of the Peranakan community, one of Singapore’s most unique ethnic populations with Mandarin Oriental, Singapore’s newly launched Peranakan Heritage Trail room package. Available from 1 November 2013 to 30 April 2014, the package features accommodation in one of the hotel’s well-appointed Ocean Grand rooms, combined with a colourful exploration half-day tour, making for a refreshing and enriching holiday experience.
Included in the package is a visit to Singapore’s Peranakan Museum, which explores the lifestyle of Asia’s Peranakan community, and where the world’s finest and most comprehensive collection of Peranakan artefacts, such as conventional costumes, jewellery, porcelain, furniture and craftworks are housed. Guests can enjoy a walk through the Spice Garden and discover the exquisite intricacies of spices and herbs, which play a large part in the much loved Nyonya cuisine, or wander through baroque architecture along the streets of Katong and Joo Chiat, showcasing rows of multi-coloured shophouses, dating back to the 1920s and 1930s. Another fascinating stop is Rumah Bebe, a traditional shophouse which focuses on the captivating display of Peranakan outfits, embroidery, beadwork, and batik-textiles.
Priced at SGD1214 per night, the Peranakan Heritage Trail package includes:
- Accommodation in the hotel’s Ocean Grand room with stunning views overlooking the city’s glittering skyline
- International buffet breakfast at award-winning restaurant MELT ~ The World Café
- Complimentary airport transfers
- Exquisite coffee table book of Singapore’s traditional shophouses
- Admission to the Peranakan Museum, Spice Garden and Rumah Bebe for two persons
- A delightful serving of Nyonya Kuehs presented in an authentic Tiffin carrier
- A delectable six-course wine pairing Peranakan gourmet dinner for two
Available 1 November 2013 to 30 April 2014, the Peranakan Heritage Trail package is valid for double occupancy and requires a minimum two nights’ stay. For reservations, please call +65 6885 3030, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.mandarinoriental.com. Rates are subject to 10% service charge and prevailing government taxes.